ANNOUNCEMENT OF ADMINISTRATIVE NON-EXEMPT POSITION OPENING
POSITION: Web Editor
POSITION CODE: 3713
DEPARTMENT: University Communications
APPOINTMENT: Administrative Non-Exempt, full-time, 12 months
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $21.99/hr.
INTRODUCTORY PERIOD: 12 months
POSTING DATE: February 3, 2017
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
DESCRIPTION: This position develops, maintains and contributes to the University’s online web presence, including the University of Redlands website and blog. The Web Content Editor writes, edits and proofreads written site content, as well as contributing or acquiring photography, video and other multimedia assets. S/he works closely with the creative team to maintain site standards, curating content and ensuring timely, accurate and relevant presentation of news and information. S/he will work closely with marketing members and vendors, so strong interpersonal communication, knowledgeable marketing and competent content management web skills are needed. The ideal candidate will also have experience writing for online marketing and outreach campaigns. Tasks require attention to detail and ability to work under tight deadlines.
The successful candidate demonstrates knowledge of or exposure to creative writing, editorial operations, writing to market, multimedia and Internet marketing content creation. Reporting to the Editorial Director, the Web Content Editor contributes to fast-paced projects; writes and edits copy for web-based channels; supports campus-wide content management communication objectives; acts as web writer and editor support for the Office of University Communications; and manages content on the homepage of the main University website and top level pages.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Create, develop and manage content for University’s web presence (requires working with content management software)
• Coordinate web writing and multimedia projects across departments and work in close guidance with Editorial Director and collaboration with Web Manager
• Maintain a consistent voice and tone throughout all web properties and serve as mentor writer/point of contact for web content managers responsible for their site sections
• Develop and maintain a master content calendar for all web properties that require content creation and/or updating
• Create content, for example by covering University happenings and events (sometimes after hours)
• Copyedit and proofread all web content
• Manage search engine optimization for all sections of the main University website and make necessary content changes to support marketing campaign endeavors
• Serve as University Communications MyRedlands portal content lead
• Be familiar with print and multimedia content and effectively package this content for web stories, web campaigns and other web-based initiatives, including the University magazine website, OchTamaleMagazine.net, as well as the University blog
• Help track web analytics to assist in content selection
• Keep current with emerging web content trends and technologies through relevant blogs and events
• Contribute to the creative process in matching web writing content to image and video content
• Assure Redlands.edu web-based content is archived for future use and reference
• Work cooperatively with all University Communications team members, clients and vendors. Develop the insight to serve well and make strategic decisions from various points of agendas and needs
• Perform other duties and special projects as assigned or directed.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience in communications or a related field is required
• A minimum of 3 years of comparable full time work experience preferably with primary responsibilities in web writing and/or editing
• Excellent verbal, written and personal communication skills; excellent proofreading skills
• Diplomacy skills plus ability to work effectively with others and establish effective client relations; ability to effectively work with a wide variety of people in both individual and group settings
• Excellent attention to detail; strong organizational and project management skills
• Competent knowledge of HTML and experience with content management systems, multimedia and analytics
• Must be deadline-focused and dedicated to adhering to organizational schedules. Persistent in finding answers, tracking down factual information
• Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
• Proven ability to build consensus and work effectively within an integrated media relations, marketing and creative team structure
• Flexibility and ability to readily adapt to changes in workflow and priorities; ability to juggle multiple tasks, function well in a fast-paced environment and always meet project deadlines
• 3-5 years’ experience managing content and production for high traffic websites
• Positive attitude and a genuine enthusiasm for the collegiate experience
• Commitment to quality improvement and personal professional development
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications in a Macintosh and/or PC environment
• An abundance of passion, integrity and energy!
TO APPLY: Submit a cover letter, resume, salary history and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three (3) professional references through the University of Redlands Administrator application form: https://myredlandsapps.redlands.edu/HRAdministratorEmployment/.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CALL 909/748-8040 OR VISIT http://www.redlands.edu/human-resources/employment/.
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME OR APPLICATION INDICATES AGREEMENT THAT THE UNIVERSITY MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN.
MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER